Friday, May 25, 2007

Busy

This week has been very busy. I have two new clients, that I met with on Tuesday. One is filing a petition for his step-daughter to come here, the other is filing for herself based on the Violence Against Women Act. VAWA lets abused spouses and children of US Citizens and legal permanent residents file immigration petitions for themselves. This means that the victim does not have to rely on the abuser to file petitions with immigration. VAWA petitions are close to my heart. I worked on two last semester while I interned here and they are emotional cases but at the same time can be very rewarding. I like helping victims of domestic violence get part of their life back.

I also met with my other client, that I talked about in the last post. I told him about how long it could take for his children to come over to the US, and I thought my heart would break when I saw the look on his face!! It's so disheartening to want to help people and have the delay be so long!

Lastly, I get to help organize and plan for an ILCM table at the World Refugee Day, which should be interesting. Sitting at information booths can be a lot of fun...though usually it is more interesting if there are a lot of people there to ask questions.

No comments: